Home of Sticky Icky Booger Bugs


Kory Frith is a boy that is fighting a disease that currently has no cure.  Do to the advancement in health care his quality of life has improved.  Unfortunately, Kory was not a textbook case and it was a span of a two year period before he was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis.  On January 16, 2005 Kory woke up with projectile vomiting that was dark green, awful smell and very lethargic.  Sherry, his mother took him to the emergency room only to wait.  At the third hour, the triage nurse realized he had not been seen and Kory had not moved the entire 3 hours.  She decided to bump Kory up on the list and that is when then the medical mystery began. 


Kory was wisked away to a trauma bed, IV started, blood work, and constant blood pressure monitoring.  He was in a diabetic coma, when he became stable he was transffered to another local hospital for a higher level of care.  Once there he laid on a bed in the hallway, when finally a doctor approached Sherry to tell her that the hospital was not equipped to handle Kory's level of care.  The doctor stated that the staff was arranging for a transport to Children's Hospital in Madera, Ca.  However, in a matter of minutes her HMO haulted the transfer and brought in there doctor to evaluate Kory's condition.  The HMO doctor stated that it was just the flu and that Kory and herself would have a better night sleep at home.  The nurse in charge of Kory's care told Sherry that if it was his son that he would demand that he stay in the hospital do to his glucose being so low.  Sherry took the advice of the nurse and was admitted unwilling by the HMO doctor.  Kory was admitted for 2 days and discharged on a Wednesday afternoon, even though he could not eat without vomiting.  


Once home Kory had no appetite and was not fully himself.  Sherry tried to make him comfortable, however on Friday morning he awoke with the projectile vomit and in pain.  An appointment was made with his pediactric doctor, who transfer him to there HMO hospital down south for an upper GI .  Kory was greeted by a doctor who just repeatedly kept telling Sherry that her son had the flu.  Plus, the doctor informed her that he makes the choice who to scope, not some nobody in Bakersfield, CA.  That doctor left that night with no orders for her son, except IV hydration and normal CBC work.  On Saturday, Kory awoke with alarms going off because his heart rate was to high, fever of 104, and pain in his back.  Sherry asked an attending doctor to run other blood work to test for other conditions.  After the weekend the doctor that we spoke to on Friday came in for rounds and was flabergasted to see Kory still taking up a bed.  Sherry explained the problems over the weekend and again the doctor dismissed Sherry's concerns. However, once Kory's projectile vomit landed on the doctor, he agreed to an upper GI.  While the doctor was preparing orders for Kory's procedure, he fumbled across the blood work from over the weekend that Sherry had demanded.  He discovered that Kory was suffering from pancreatitis, it can be so painful that it drops men to there knees.  With this news, Sherry thougth that Kory would be a priority and that he would get the treatment he needed.  She was wrong, the next morning everything that the doctor explained was going to happen did not.  She waited one more day for this hospital to help her son and they did not.  When she demanded to have higher level of care for her son, the HMO arranged for her to go to another hospital 5 miles away within the HMO.  Needless to say, she was disappointed and concerned for the care he would receive at the new hospital.  Her concerns were soon confirmed, worst than the first hospital.   


Kory, had lost 8 lbs and could tolerate the pain with motrin. She decided to remove him from the HMO care and take care of him herself. Scott, Kory's dad found employment where he could receive a PPO health care package for Kory immediatly. Sherry, scouted out doctor's who would refer out to Children's Hospital in Madera, Ca. Not more that 3 weeks from being out of the hospital Kory had another attack, this time he was stablized and ambulanced to CCH.   That is when Kory met Dr. Jose Martinez, one of the most amazing GI doctor's there is.  Dr. Martinez, ordered a (MRCP) that gave him images of the pancreas that indicated Kory had several issues, which were beyond this particular hospital's capabilites.  Kory was refered to Lucille Packard Hospital for a (ERCP).  Dr. Berquist performed to the best of his abilities, however was honest to say that Kory had a rare pancreas and he could not assist further in solving the problems.  As with any parent, Sherry turned to the internet trying to collect as much information before Kory's next appointment with Dr. Martinez.  It was at this appointment, that Kory was refered on to Dr. Jose Quiros at CPMC in San Francisco, Ca.  Dr. Quiros, order blood work, genetic testing, and another ERCP to be performed by him.  Sherry, was very hopful after the appointment with Dr. Quiros and felt that this doctor could help her son.


Dr. Quiros attempts the ERCP, however has to abort the procedure.  Once inside Kory's GI track the doctor believes that Kory only has one pancreas duct.  This is the result of a divisium of the pancreas, a birth defect.  Dr. Quiros did not want to stress the one duct and cause Kory to have his pancreas swell.  It was explained to Sherry that another ERCP could be performed and with the use of a dye, it was hopeful that both pancreatic ducts could be located.  If located,  a stent was going to be placed to slowly expand the ducts open over a 6 week period.  Unfortunately, the procedure was not a success and Dr. Quiros felt that surgery was the best option.  Sherry was not convinced that surgery was the best option.   She had been researching a doctor on the east coast and asked Dr. Quiros to please help facilitate this referral.  After 2 months of endless phone calls between doctors, insurance appeals, another MRCP, blood work, and 3 plane tickets.  They were off to Cinncinatti, Ohio to have Dr. Gulrud perform another ERCP and to place a stent.  Dr. Gulrud delivered the best news, the stent was placed and Kory was recovering from the procedure.   The next 4 weeks had many complications, admitted to hospital and an early removal of stent by Dr. Quiros.  Kory's duct had began to reject the stent, causing a more serious threat to his health.


Dr. Quiros brought it to Sherry's attention that Kory had 2 genetic marker's for cystic fibrosis, which caused all the fluids in Kory's body to be thicker.  Thus, amplifying the birth defect problems with his pancreas.   Upon discovering all these bits and pieces it was prescribed that Kory have vest therapy, enzymes for digestive tract, certain vitamins, inhalers, and a nebulizer.  Trying to explain and rationalize to Kory what he was fighting was difficult.  The only way Sherry could tell him was that he has "sticky booger" that need to come out everyday, if not it would be more trips to the hospital.